Dear participants:
I participated at NVCC in a pilot program for Writing Intensive courses.
Several disciplines were involved. This experiment took place several years
ago.
Results: Faculty thought it a good & helpful idea.
Some students reported perceiving benefits.
The project stopped on the question of capping such course sections at 25
students so proper attention could be paid to
writing/grading/discussion/student contact. The college ( a  2 year community
college system in Northern Va) was not willing to change the class sizes. a
good idea halted in its tracks.
Class size is a real consideration.
Another model from a daughter's school- Cornell- was the Freshman Writing
seminar which was attached to  content in a department--anthropology,
literature etc----for example a study of the Odyssey, heroes , science
fiction--in other words there was a content element, writing, and rigorous
final paper.
I always remember the directions given to me--if you want to be a better
writer--write.
If colleges deem it a serious mission to increase writing  through such
programs, they will need to have administrative types on board and put their
efforts all together.  Good luck!
Mary