I am Manager of Academic Support @UNT Health Science Center,  All of my tutors are medical & graduate students & attendance @ training has always been a problem. The more experienced ones are upperclassmen who may be on clinical rotations in other cities. Group training is usually only attended by new tutors. My interim plan for Fall '00 is to order the UNC tutor tapes and design worksheets to accompany each topic.  Tutors can then complete training requirements by working independently through the tapes & worksheets. For my educational setting, online training may be the best solution. Because I'm a one-person office & wear many hats, this project is a year away.
Peg Dansereau

>>> Steven Runge <[log in to unmask]> 04/18/00 01:25PM >>>
--------------8608FBE8D75BF01A5F89F495

Hi all,

I'm prompted to write because of a comment in Lou Anne Sears's post:

"While I am interested in seeing what exercises others use, I have never
had
a need for any.  All of the tutors are not available to do the training
at
the same time.  Sometimes, only one student will come in for a session.
Other times, the room will be full.  You never know."

I've had similar experiences, in spite of paying tutors for training &
threatening penalties for failure to attend. Just recently, I've
overhauled the whole system, so that beginning with next semester,
tutors will get raises only if they pass the requisite number & sequence
of exams (2 per semester for the first two semesters, and one in the
3rd). Based on discussions here about tutor pay, I've even offered to
pay them for preparation for training (reading the appropriate chapter
in The Master Tutor). I've made training sessions optional, but because
I offer them at a convenient time for residential students (Sunday
evening), and because I will pay them to attend, and because the exam
will be offered immediately after each training session, I expect to do
a little better.

I want to train more than one tutor at a time not just for efficiency's
sake, but because there's pedagogical value in group-learning.

I've had to use the carrot (rather than stick) method, because I simply
can't afford to fire tutors who don't show for training. It takes a few
weeks to find replacements.

Are other folks having training attendance problems? Have you solved
them?

Steve

--------------8608FBE8D75BF01A5F89F495

begin:vcard