Laura:
Surveys suggest that almost all colleges and universities offer tutoringin
onne form or another -  peer tutoring where tutors are paid, volunteer, or
take tutoring courses for credit; professional tutors as in two year tech,
school, etc.
One study showed that 97% of the schools surveyed had tutoring.
Hunter Boylan's EXXON Study showed that students in developmental ed.
programs where tutors were trained were more likely to succeed than those
in tutoring programs with no training. (Training is moe common in 4 year
colleges.)
Even MIT offers on-line tutoring with vollunteer tutors answering difficult
problems.

Frank knows about there but here they are again.  Refs. on tutoring:
>> Maxwell, M. (Ed.), (1994), "When Tutor Meets Student." Ann Arbor:
>>University of Michigan Press.  (Stories by 51 writing tutors
>>at U.C.Berkeley about their tutoring experiences plus a complete
description of a tutoring
>>writing for credit course.)
>>
>M. Maxwell "Improving Student Learning Skills: New Edition. (1997).H&H
>>Publishing Co., 1232 Kapp Ave, Clearwatrer, FL 34625. Phone
1-800-366-4O79

> (Has a chapter on tutoring, plus handots for
>training >tutors in study skills and  in chemistry, physics, Mike Rose's
>UCLA, "Difficult Tutoring Situations" and a number of useful handouts on
tutoring ESL
>>students in writing in the Appendx.)
>>
>>Also there are seven articles on tutor training  (most from 4 year
colleges)in Maxwell, M. (Ed.)
>(1994).>>"From Access to Success: Readings in Developmental
>>Learning and Learning Assistance." H&H Publishing Co., 1232 Kapp Ave,
>>Clearwatrer, FL 34625. Phone 1-800-366-4O79
>>        (THIS BOOK INCLUDES KAREN WINNARD'S  " TRAINING TUTORS NOT TO
>        >RESCUE" )

Unfortunately, my articles on "The Benefits of Being a Tutor" (including
one with Paul Treuer) have been rejected by our various journals.  The
editors seem adamant that tutoring should only help the weakest students.

C'est la vie.

Martha Maxwell