The recent exercises for tutor training are great! Thanks!

I've found another listserv where college educators share practical
strategies for helping students achieve success. Among other things, the
listserve moderator is presently leading a discussion about both the theory
and practice of motivating students.

To join, send an e-mail to <[log in to unmask]> with the message "Subscribe
On Course listserv"

John

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:04:58 -0400, Open Forum for Learning Assistance
Professionals wrote:

>  Steve,
>
>  What a great game!  You might also enjoy the simulation "Rafa! Rafa!"
(I'm not sure
>  who publishes it.)  It does a great job of illustrating cultural values
and
>  assumptions.
>
>  Laura
>
>  Steven Runge wrote:
>
>  > This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>  > --------------5044AAE491947282EEDA0533
>  >
>  > Jelaine,
>  >
>  > I like it. I like exercises that get people to "see" in some sense from
a new
>  > point of view.
>  >
>  > The video "How Difficult Can This Be?" is also good for a similar
>  > purpose--getting people to see what it's like to have a learning
disability.
>  >
>  > I've recently created an exercise (based on something I'd heard about
in
>  > ESL-teaching courses) that raises awareness of the need for
cross-cultural
>  > communication skills. Look below Jelaine's posting. Everyone's welcome
to it,
>  > but understand that it hasn't been tested anywhere yet but in my
imagination.
>  > I'm planning on using it in conjunction with Ross MacDonald's Master
Tutor,
> [...]
call
>  > > "Follow the Directions."  The second part is the discussion  of
feelings,
>  > > comparing them to how our students feel in the classroom, how they
feel in
>  > > tutor sessions, and how they feel in general.
>  >
>  > Ambassadors
>  >
>  > This group exercise is all about experiencing the joys and pitfalls of
>  > multicultural communication. We'll discuss what happened afterwards and
how it
>  > has a bearing on tutoring, but for now, just give yourself over to the
game.
>  >
>  > Game Rules
>  >
>  > Each group should choose an ambassador and a secretary. The ambassador
should be
>  > someone who's a quick study, can adopt a role quickly, and is
comfortable being
>  > in front of people. Nobody of that description? Choose someone at
random with
>  > either eenie-meenie-mynie-mo, or one-potato-two-potato. The secretary
will keep
>  > track of your group's decisions on paper.
>  >
>  > Each group will invent a set of cultural behaviors normal to its own
culture.
>  > Don't worry about beliefs; all you're going to decide on are 7
>  > culturally-specific behaviors. Use your imagination!
>  >
>  > 1. Physical gestures that indicate Yes and No. (In America, for
example, we use
>  > nodding and shaking the head. Think of two new ones.)
>  > 2. Proximity & location of standing or sitting. (When you sit or stand
to talk
>  > with somebody, how far away are you? Do you face them directly?)
>  > 3. Use of questions. (Do you want an immediate, direct answer? An
indirect
>  > answer? An answer in two weeks? Or do you use questions rhetorically,
as a way
>  > to make a point? Perhaps none of these are quite right.)
>  > 4. How to answer a question. (Perhaps you answer all questions in the
>  > affirmative, to honor the person asking. Perhaps you don't answer
questions
>  > immediately. Perhaps you answer with a question…)
>  > 5. Taboo topics. Choose 3 topics that cause offense, and rank them for
their
>  > offensiveness. (For example, some Americans of northern European
descent find it
>  > mildly offensive to talk explicitly about money. Others find it quite
offensive
>  > to talk about matters relating to sexuality.)
>  > 6. Facial gestures for taking offense and for being pleased.
>  > 7. Standard inquiries or statements upon greeting. (e.g., many
Americans of