Hi Liz,

This is the second time I've posted on the listserv.  The first was my
all respect to CRMs and non-CRMs I will respond to your questions.

Records Managers manage.  Management skills are developed with experience
and can't really be obtained in a classroom environment, although management
theories and principals can speed up the development of these skills.  As
everyone has undoubtedly come across in their career, there are individuals
in management positions because of their certifications (I am not referring
to CRMs) and really don't understand what they have learned, or cannot put
theory into practice.  This takes a skill set that must be learned through
"hard knocks".

I do not oppose the idea of CRM.  As I stated in my earlier post, it is the
thing to go for if you are just entering the Records and Information
Management Field.  Most that have obtained their CRM designations have
indicated that they learned much from the experience.  This is wonderful and
I support their decision for the path they have taken.  This was their
individual career development decision.  It makes our community stronger,
and places us in a more professional standing.

However your question concerning me obtaining certification as a MCSE, yes.
If I was starting out in this field, it is the fastest way to obtain the
knowledge needed to work in an MS software environment.  BUT, I don't know
if Bill Gates has his MCSE or not, If I was making a decision to hire and it
was between someone just out of certification with his/her MCSE, and him, I
would hire the experienced Gates without certification hands down.

What I am trying to say is that perhaps we are asking the Bill Gates (all
RMs without certification) to obtain something that they really don't need
at this point in their careers, for the purposed of having three letters
beside your name.  Don't know if Bill Gates would agree to that either.

My point is that it is the individual's decision, and CRMs should respect
non-CRMs decisions to spend their time training in new areas, rather that
spending time confirming for others what they already know (and is indicated
in their resumes).

My views are my views and not necessarily those of my employer.

Best Regards,

Bob Soutar
Manager, Records/Information Holdings
Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation