Bob wrote:
<snip.
My point is that it is the individual's decision, and CRMs should respect
non-CRMs decisions to spend their time training in new areas, rather that
spending time confirming for others what they already know (and is indicated
in their resumes).
<snip>

I must have missed something, but I  don't remember reading anything that
said that CRMs do not respect those who have decided not to take the exam.
As you stated it is a personal decision whether to sit for the exams or not.

Richard Cox of the University of Pittsburgh's School of Information Sciences
wrote a very interesting article concerning archival certification. Although
not completely related to this annual (or is it bi-annual?)discussion some
of its points, I believe, are relevant to our discourse.
http://www.sis.pitt.edu/~rjc/pp1.htm

What I do keep "hearing" over and over again is that it is a personal
decision. "To take or not to take, that is the question." Each of us must
make that decision at some point in our careers and there is no incorrect
answer.

Kerrie Monzo's original query (remember?) asked the following:
<snip>
The sharing of your general feelings about the:
        -       Certification process/exam process itself
        -       Has certification made any impact on your salary or your
'credibility'
        -       Any shortcomings about certification
        -       Any distinct benefits of certification
        -       If not a CRM.....why?
        -       Anything else you think is important
<snip>

Has this august body been able to provide information about any of the
above? Maybe we should explore each of the above.

Is the process/exam too hard, too soft or just right? Unfortunately or
fortunately I took the exams over 10 years ago and I know that they have
changed. The first 5 exams are now multiple choice while Number 6 (the
dreaded one) still consists of written case studies. Of course now you can
use a computer to complete number 6. Of course in my day we still had to use
a blue book and pen or pencil no fancy computers allowed. But then the ICRM
did investigate the use of computers for Part 6, why because applicants
wanted it, test scorers wanted it (easier to read than the wide varieties of
handwriting)and probably other valid reasons.

Is the application process too hard, too easy or is it just right. does it
exclude people unnecessarily? In the past I have sat on application review
committees that is not easy task. Three of us examined applications that
just missed the cut for some reason or another. Why the review? So that the
process could be as fair as possible, because there were at that time no
standards across industries as to job duties. We did after each review offer
suggestions for improvement to the ICRM. I believe that the Institute bends
over backwards to be fair.

Has certification made any impact on your salary or your 'credibility'
Definitely yes on the salary as to credibility that really depends upon how
well I do the job I have. If the work I perform is not credible than my
credibility as well as that of other CRMs will suffer.

Any shortcomings about certification
This annual discussion. Seriously I can't think of any but give me time. If
anything it is explaining to non-RIM people what it means. What do non-CRMs
see as the shortcomings.

I will leave the rest for others. have fun.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia