I have followed this thread with some interest as I have just started
managing a centralised system in a large organisation that has previously
had decentralised records units. Each unit operated independently although
using a common database. It seems to me that it doesn't really matter
whether the records are physically held in a central location or not. What
is more important is that CONTROL should be centralised. Disparate records
units functioning individually and entirely independently with no apparent
controls over terminology, no consistent methods of labelling or titling,
and no coherent policy or procedures can lead to anarchy. I know, I'm
trying to clear up the mess!
Cheers,
Sue Frost