Chris,
This is a tough one I think.  Much discussion came after your post and I am
still reading.  Our state records director says that if it's data it ain't
records.  However (and to me) if that data exists and was used to create records
then as long as it is there it can be used to re-create records.  Even if the
report writer or whatever application was used to generate the "record" is gone
if the data is still there you may have to recreate the record anyway.  My
understanding is that the courts have consistently ruled that if you build a
system that is difficult to use and it is expensive and time consuming to
recreate the records that is your problem and if you can't do it the court will
find someone who can (at your expense).  To me this is like deciding to cut your
paper records up and put them in a trash bag and store the trash bag
permanently.  Comes litigation you still have the records albeit in a hard to
use and expensive to recreate form but under discovery you will have to produce
or pay.  Maybe I am missing something here but I just think this is a dangerous
practice that hasn't been thought through or tested in court.  There are very
good reasons why we have created the notion of information life-cycles and
ultimate disposal.  I think the IT guys are just too lazy and uninterested to
deal with the problem.  If I was in the position of managing your institutions
records I would get the legal department to give me an opinion in writing that
this is not a problem and in a sense indemnify me against blame when this blows
up down the road.  Maybe I'm too conservative on this issue but I've got a
feeling that any record/data that hangs around "forever" is going to eventually
bite us on the butt.  Dick King, University of Arizona and his thoughts only.