Liz Castro wrote:
A record  is not a record unless the content has been deemed a record.

Content is what is important.  When we purge information based on our retention
schedule guidelines, we are defining the length of time based on the content of
the data.
-----------------

While content is certainly important, what makes a record a record is this
content's place in a meaningful physical and intellectual context.  We
understand and schedule records based on their function in and worth to our
organizations.  The more unstructured the data (no matter the medium) the less
meaningful any records based on the data are.  I think most of us would agree
that at some point data become just numbers and words when they are divorced
from the circumstances of their creation and use.  We have to make sure that
sufficient metadata are created and preserved to help the content retain its
"recordness" for as long as required.

David S. Miller
Philadelphia Department of Records