>Subject: RRQ Editor Search
>

>                       International Reading Association
>                       800 Barksdale Road, PO Box 8139
>                       Newark, DE 19714-8139
>

>June 1, 2000
>

>Dear Colleague:
>
>The Association is currently conducting a search to fill the position of
>editor of Reading Research Quarterly.
>
>Reading Research Quarterly is a peer-reviewed journal published by the
>Association as a service to those interested in research in literacy.  The
>journal is intended as an open forum for original and innovative research.
>It is sent to over 12,000 subscribers throughout the world. Reading
>Research Quarterly is a leading forum for the exchange of information and
>opinion on theory, research, and practice in literacy.
>
>We invite you to assist the Association in publicizing the search for the
>editor.  The deadline for applications is September 15, 2000.  Attached is
>a copy of the position announcement, which will be published in
>forthcoming issues of Reading Today and Reading Research Quarterly.
>Please do not hesitate to circulate or post copies of the announcement.
>
>Individuals interested in the position should view the announcement and
>other supporting materials on the Associations Web site www.reading.org
>before applying.  For more information about the search process, contact
>Kate Tyler Wall, Editorial Director, Journals, International Reading
>Association, 800 Barksdale Road, PO Box 8139, Newark, DE 19714-8139, USA;
>e-mail, [log in to unmask]; telephone 1-302-731-1600, extension 243.
>
>Thank you for letting your colleagues know about this opportunity to serve
>the profession and the Association.
>
>Sincerely,
>

>Joan M. Irwin
>Director of Publications

>John Readence, Editor ([log in to unmask])-(phone: 702-895-4217)
>Diane Barone, Editor ([log in to unmask])-(phone: 702-784-4961-EXT. 2000)
>David Moore, Book Review Editor ([log in to unmask])-(phone: 602-543-6333)
>John Unger, Editorial Associate ([log in to unmask])-(phone:702-895-4217)
>Roni Jo Draper, Editorial Assistant ([log in to unmask])
>                       RRQ FAX: 702-895-4353

Reading Research Quarterly editor search begins

The International Reading Association invites applications from
qualified members for the position of Editor for Reading Research
Quarterly. This volunteer position has a term of 6 years; year 1
overlaps with the current editorial team; years 2 through 6 are the 5
volume years of the journal for which the new editor provides
material. The new editor's term begins September 1, 2001 and
concludes on September 1, 2007; the term covers volume years
2003-2007. Applications will be considered for one editor who may
appoint one associate editor or for two editors who will function as
coeditors.
        Reading Research Quarterly is a peer-reviewed journal
published by the Association as a service to those interested in
research in literacy.  The journal is intended as an open forum for
original and innovative research. It is sent to over 12,000
subscribers throughout the world.
        Nearly 100,000 literacy and reading professionals in 100
countries belong to the International Reading Association, which
represents more than 350,000 individuals and institutions through
affiliated councils worldwide. Reading Research Quarterly is a
leading forum for the exchange of information and opinion on theory,
research, and practice in literacy.
The search will be conducted in three phases. The first phase
requires individuals to submit a letter of application, résumé, and
names of references. Applicants who are short-listed from phase 1
will be asked to participate in the second phase of the search, which
requires responses to a range of editorial tasks. In the third phase,
applicants selected as finalists will be interviewed at Association
headquarters.
Copies of the editor's job description and other support documents
are available on the Association's Web site: www.reading.org. These
materials should be reviewed prior to application.
Phase 1 applicants must send the following materials in electronic
form on or before September 15, 2000 to be assured of consideration:

Letter of application:
… Submit a 3-page letter describing professional and personal
attributes that qualify the individual for the position and defining
your editorial philosophy for the journal.
… Provide an indication of institutional support.

Résumé:
… Submit a 3-page statement listing professional and administrative
experiences relevant to the position.