Hi, FloridaBirders!

I am sure that you would agree that we are not being worried to death with
overposting!

This I thought and still think is a good time to start as we know the Fall
Migration will soon be in full swing.  This was evidenced by the Curlew
Sandpiper that stayed on one of Georgia's barrier islands, Little Tybee
Island, off shore from Savannah GA for about five days, but disappeared
after the showing on last Monday, July 10.  It was not identified until
July 8, as the birder who found it is new and inexperienced and it was hard
to reach.  Few got to see it.  But now Florida's east coast should brace
itself.  If you see a Dunlin-like bird still in breeding plumage with a
decurved bill, look close, it may be the star-crossed Curlew
Sandpiper.  Look those birds over carefully.  No I didn't get to see
it.  Imagine finding such a bird when you have birded only a
year.  Unbelievable.  Downhill after that.

If you wish to use this as learning time, and you just subscribed with the
many that  did so today, this is a short lesson in finding stuff in the
archives.

If you want to find what was posted in FLORIDABIRDS-L on a particular day,
such as yesterday, the 15th of July, 2000,

SEND THIS MESSAGE TO:  [log in to unmask]

SEARCH [log in to unmask] IN FLORIDABIRDS-L FROM 00/07/15 TO 00/07/15

This is the answer you will get:

 > SEARCH [log in to unmask] IN FLORIDABIRDS-L FROM 00/07/15 TO
00/07/15
-> 3 matches.
Item # Date Time Recs Subject
------ ---- ---- ---- -------
000003 00/07/15 07:49 34 RFI: Roseate Tern + Antillian Nighthawks
000004 00/07/15 09:56 42 Re: Florida Birding Festival Correct URL
000005 00/07/15 22:20 38 Report of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
To order a copy of these postings, send the following command:
GETPOST FLORIDABIRDS-L 3-5

Also followed by a short annotation of each post.

If you want to read all three posts,
send the getpost command as follows TO LISTSERV:

GETPOST FLORIDABIRDS-L 3-5

If you only want number five send:  GETPOST FLORIDABIRDS-L 5

etc.

Remember that POSTS go to [log in to unmask]
and
COMMANDS go to [log in to unmask]

If it's not a post, then you can guess it is a command telling
Listserv to do something.

Or you can make a leap and ask for all the posts and guess.
The correct number is 7

If you guess too many you will get a message saying something to the
effect that these are invalid parameters.

So, send this message:

To:  [log in to unmask]
MESSAGE:  GETPOST FLORIDABIRDS-L 1-7

Not hard.  Then you will get a copy of all of the messages filed to
date.

Not many.

Will be more only when you post so send more posts.  About Florida birds.

Hope tomorrow is a good birding day for you all.

Barbara Passmore
Valdosta GA
    Listowner