Hi all, I'm a new comer to posting birds. Many of you may know that I post
my sightings via Howard Horne. Well, he's hinted around that I should post
myself. Unfortunately this is not a posting about what I did see, but
rather what I did not see. Today, I participated in the biannual river
survey of the Wakulla River. The Limpkins have all but disappeared from
Wakulla Springs State Park. I have been monitoring their numbers on the
Wakulla River for quite some time now. Last year around November, they
left. All I have seen for the past 8 months has been the occasional
female. For the first time that I can remember, I could not find a single
Limpkin nesting on the river this summer. Also, I have not heard their
calls, the river seems to have an eerie silence without them. This
decline may be related to the massive hydrilla infestation that has taken
place at the park. I was wondering, how are Limpkins faring through out
the state?

Tom Kennedy