Forgive my ignorance but I have only recently stumbled
upon Birdbrains. I have for a while phone weekly the
Florida bird line and when I found it online I then
received its emails.  These recent birdbrain emails
just let me know that other valuable lists also exist
so I have subscribed to them too. ( I am sure I am
still missing some that may be interesting. )

I do not know what is appropriate to report for which
list.  So far I have been an observer for the most
part.  I can see the argument for single list or
multiple lists.  Multiple emails of any kind can be
annoying.  But the occasional multiple I would think
should be okay.  If each list has its purpose clearly
defined and when a person forgets or is ignorant of
that lists purpose. They can be sent a generic email
of the lists available and topic of each list.  Also,
we have to be aware what may seem to be a common bird
and prehaps not worth mentioning to an experienced
birder may not be to the beginner.  The beginner will
learn though what is appropriate to which list or
prehaps to common for any list.

What I find useful is that I now have information from
others about what birds are being seen both locally
and statewide.  Not just rare or unusual sightings.
For someone relatively new to birding this is
invaluable.  I have Lanes book on locations but that
doesn't let you know what is happening where this
week.  So as I build my life list it is nice to know
where the common birds are being seen in addition to
the occasional and rare birds.  Also the information
about how to visit places like the Zellwood farms
without getting into trouble or traveling there when
the fields are not flooded.  Also it is nice to know
where you can share a sighting that you think might be
of interest to others. Also it is nice to know when
migrating birds are appearing at a park. For instance
someone living near Fort Desoto will notice
interesting migrants like Indigo Buntings and those of
us where it may be a drive will know it is time to
schedule a trip there.  Someone familiar with a park
that is close to home can provide information on where
certain birds are found in a park. Maybe osprey nest
or feeding spot frequented by a Reddish egret, etc.
This can be useful not only local birders but someone
that decides to make a weekend trip or day trip to a
park(s) in an area. So we can subscribe and
unsubscribe to a list depending on our interest at the
time.

As far as listing locations of sightings.  I
understand it becomes cumbersome to list full names
and especially directions to places that routinly have
birds to mention.  But I also I can understand the
fustration of not knowing where in the heck the bird
is.  Is it possible to set up a web page to contain
the bird locations in Florida (whether park or
retention pond) and short hand reference.  Then the
emails can use a common short hand and webpage would
have the detail directions.

Rozanna