Hi, again,

Not that Phil Davis doesn't already know this, but I did take a look at _A
Guide to the birds of the West Indies_, Raffaele et al., Princeton
University Press, 1998.  Raffaele reports that Stripe-headed Tanager has
been split into four species,listed as Puerto Rican, Hispaniola, Western,
and Jamaican.  The Western is the one shown in the 3d ed of the NGS field
guide as being seen in South Florida under the name of  Stripe-headed
Tanager (Spindalis zena), with two subspecies, zena and townsendi. possibly
being seen.  Western is shown by Raffaele as having a total of five
subspecies.

If there has been a further split of the Western Stripe-headed Tanager
(Spindalis zena), it is not shown in the current edition of the NGS.  And
this is the bird shown as visiting southeast Florida and the Florida
Keys.  It should be noted, however,that NGS also does not use the name
"Western" but refers to the bird as simply as Stripe-headed Tanager
(Spindalis zena).

This does not answer Phil's question about whether others have been
recorded in Florida but was interesting to me and I thought perhaps also
interesting to you.

Barbara Passmore
Valdosta GA