I think only the A.O.U. Check-List committee can 'officially' split (or
lump) species. And the ABA follows the AOU on all matters of taxonomy.
There is just one species of Spindalis in the printed 7th edition AOU
check-list, in Sibley & Munroe, and in Clements.  Has their been a
published supplement to the AOU 7th edition that splits Spindalis?

If no, perhaps Raffaele reported that Stripe-headed Tanager is going to be
split, or is likely to be split, or that a published article has
recommended that it be split.

David
David M. Mark
Amherst, New York (near Buffalo; home location)
http://www.geog.buffalo.edu/~dmark/