All -

No supplement to the 7th edition AOU checklist has yet been published ...
it's due out this month, however.

I didn't cite my reference in my original message in this thread (another
"shame on me").  Here it is ...

         The Tanagers   Natural History, Distribution, and Identification

         by Morton L. Isler and Phyllis R. Isler

         1987, 1999

         Smithsonian Institution Press

Isler states that "As with many taxa that occur across a constellation of
islands, the Stripe-headed Tanager exhibits pronounced geographic
variations in plumage and size". Isler also refers to the work of earlier
ornithologist to include Bond (1956) to conclude that "three species may be
involved". Isler then presents three subspecies groups of
_Spindalis_.  Within each group, he presents the various subspecies
forms.  Here they are:

The _Spindalis_ Tanagers                        Striped-headed Tanager

         zena subspecies group                   Western Striped-headed Tanager
                 S. _zena_ _townsendi_                   n Bahamas
                 S. _zena_ _zena_                        c Bahamas east to
Mayaguana; irregularly to s Florida
                 S. _zena_ _pretrei_                     Cuba and the Isle
of Pines
                 S. _zena_ _salvini_                     Grand Cayman Islands
                 S. _zena_ _benedicti_                   Cozumel Island,
Quintana Roo, Mexico

         dominicensis subspecies group           Eastern Striped-headed Tanager
                 S. _zena_ _dominicensis_                Hispaniola and
Gonave Island
                 S. _zena_ _portoricensis_               Puerto Rico

         nigricephala subspecies group           Jamaican Striped-headed
Tanager
                 (no subforms)                           Jamaica

Sorry to make this seem like a taxonomic discussion group.  I'm sure this
will pass quickly.

Phil Davis

(who still is looking for Antillean Nighthawk and Greater Flamingo ... but
is hoping to combine them with a chase trip for LaSagra's Flycatcher,
Bahama Mockingbird, Bananaquit, White-cheeked Pintail, a quail-dove, or the
like ... <grin>)

At 10:13 PM 07/17/2000 -0400, David Mark wrote:
>I think only the A.O.U. Check-List committee can 'officially' split (or
>lump) species. And the ABA follows the AOU on all matters of taxonomy.
>There is just one species of Spindalis in the printed 7th edition AOU
>check-list, in Sibley & Munroe, and in Clements.  Has their been a
>published supplement to the AOU 7th edition that splits Spindalis?
>
>If no, perhaps Raffaele reported that Stripe-headed Tanager is going to be
>split, or is likely to be split, or that a published article has
>recommended that it be split.
>
>David
>David M. Mark
>Amherst, New York (near Buffalo; home location)
>http://www.geog.buffalo.edu/~dmark/
>
>On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Barbara Passmore wrote:
>
> > Hi, again,
> >
> > Not that Phil Davis doesn't already know this, but I did take a look at _A
> > Guide to the birds of the West Indies_, Raffaele et al., Princeton
> > University Press, 1998.  Raffaele reports that Stripe-headed Tanager has
> > been split into four species,listed as Puerto Rican, Hispaniola, Western,
> > and Jamaican.  The Western is the one shown in the 3d ed of the NGS field
> > guide as being seen in South Florida under the name of  Stripe-headed
> > Tanager (Spindalis zena), with two subspecies, zena and townsendi. possibly
> > being seen.  Western is shown by Raffaele as having a total of five
> > subspecies.
> >
> > If there has been a further split of the Western Stripe-headed Tanager
> > (Spindalis zena), it is not shown in the current edition of the NGS.  And
> > this is the bird shown as visiting southeast Florida and the Florida
> > Keys.  It should be noted, however,that NGS also does not use the name
> > "Western" but refers to the bird as simply as Stripe-headed Tanager
> > (Spindalis zena).
> >
> > This does not answer Phil's question about whether others have been
> > recorded in Florida but was interesting to me and I thought perhaps also
> > interesting to you.
> >

> > Barbara Passmore
> > Valdosta GA

Phil Davis      Davidsonville, Maryland     USA
                mailto:[log in to unmask]