I am not a taxonomist, and as Phil Davis said, this is not a taxonomy list,
but I do want to respond to David Mark's post of yesterday.  I will make a
small personal statement that our local library has an excellent collection
of bird books and it is growing daily.

I have this morning had the library fax over to me the pages of text from
Raffaele's guide to the birds of the West Indies, to which I referred
yesterday.  If anyone needs the full citation, write me directly or refer
to my post of yesterday, please.

Now, with these pages (pp. 417-419) before me, this is what I find.

in Raffaele's book, four species of stripe-headed tanagers are described in
detail:

1) Western Stripe-headed Tanager (Spindalis zena)
2) Jamaican Stripe-headed Tanager (Spindalis nigricephalus)
3) Hispaniolan Stripe-headed Tanager (Spindalis dominicensis)
4) Puerto Rican Stripe-headed Tanager (Spindalis portoricensis)

Reference to plates is made in each instance.

Under Western Stripe-headed Tanager (Spindalis zena),the following language
appears:

 >Comments:  Aarboreal.  Feeds mainly on berries, but also takes other
plant parts.  >Until recently Western Stripe-headed Tanager was united as a
single species with the >three other stripe-headed tanagers. They were
split into four species based on >differences in vocal behavior,
coloration, nesting and size.  Western Stripe-headed >Tanager still
contains five subspecies.

David, I see no qualifying language whatsoever.  The wording is pretty
clear, I would say.  Beyond that, I can only reiterate that this is what is
stated in this particular
book.

Perhaps you would like to follow it up to prove or disprove.

I am still puzzled about why, if this split has been made, NGS didn't
indicate it in its 3d edition by including "Western" in the name of the
Stripe-headed Tanager there.

If you find out the truth of the matter, please forward it to the list.

Barbara Passmore
Valdosta GA