Here is what the AOU Check-List says for Stripe-headed Tanagers

http://pica.wru.umt.edu/AOU/birdlist.html
(Last modified: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 3:39:50 PM Local time)

The A.O.U. Check-list of North American Birds, Seventh Edition
The A.O.U. Check-list of North American Birds is the official source on the
taxonomy of birds found in North and Middle America, including adjacent
islands. The volume is hardbound and includes the list of species posted
here plus the 829-page check-list proper.
Spindalis zena Western Spindalis.
Spindalis nigricephala Jamaican Spindalis.
Spindalis dominicensis Hispaniolan Spindalis.
Spindalis portoricensis Puerto Rican Spindalis
So, I suspect the forms occurring in the United States are all still
classified in one species.  I think that these four forms were not split
until the 1998 checklist.  Before they were all considered to belong to one
species.

Hopefully I'll get to my print version of the checklist tonight.

Best

Rob Hilton
Bethesda, Md