I did the same thing as did Rob ... I immediately checked the date on this
list.  Guess what ... this appears to be the July 2000 Supplement to the
7th Edition of the AOU checklist.  I searched for "Oldsquaw" ...
nothing.  Searched for "Long-tailed Duck" ... bingo !!!

I have a project to work on tonight so I won's be able to do an analysis of
the new list.

My issue of the Auk has not arrived, yet!

Good detective work, David and Rob!

Phil

At 10:41 AM 07/18/2000 -0400, Rob (Robert) Hilton wrote:
>Here is what the AOU Check-List says for Stripe-headed Tanagers
>
>http://pica.wru.umt.edu/AOU/birdlist.html
>(Last modified: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 3:39:50 PM Local time)
>
>The A.O.U. Check-list of North American Birds, Seventh Edition
>The A.O.U. Check-list of North American Birds is the official source on the
>taxonomy of birds found in North and Middle America, including adjacent
>islands. The volume is hardbound and includes the list of species posted
>here plus the 829-page check-list proper.
>Spindalis zena Western Spindalis.
>Spindalis nigricephala Jamaican Spindalis.
>Spindalis dominicensis Hispaniolan Spindalis.
>Spindalis portoricensis Puerto Rican Spindalis
>So, I suspect the forms occurring in the United States are all still
>classified in one species.  I think that these four forms were not split
>until the 1998 checklist.  Before they were all considered to belong to one
>species.
>
>Hopefully I'll get to my print version of the checklist tonight.
>
>Best
>
>Rob Hilton
>Bethesda, Md

Phil Davis      Davidsonville, Maryland     USA
                mailto:[log in to unmask]