Thanks to Andy Kratter for the explanation about the latest AOU Check-list
supplement, and for the other sleuths who scooped the AOU this time, on a
very interesting thread. Andy's other thread was the one excerpted below
about a warbler photo:

"On a different note, a few days ago Barbara Passmore kindly passed along
the website with some fine parulid pictures from Canada
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/regisf/diaporama/paruline.html).  I ran through
these and got kind of stuck on the fourth photo, the Paruline a joues
grises (or Nashville Warbler as the AOU-CLC French name index shows) .
When I first saw this I thought it was an immature Canada Warbler.  A few
others around here at the museum thought similarly, although none of us can
definitely put our finger on why it may be a Canada and not a Nashville.
But Bill shape (rather straight), toe and leg color (pinkish?) suggest
Canada.  Take a look.  Any other comments?"

I would have to disagree on the id of this warbler. While it is not a great
shot, and colors can show up differently on different people's computer
screens, I do not think this is a Canada. It's true you can't really see
the bill very well (in any case "rather straight" would not be wrong for
Nashville), but the head is clearly gray, which eliminates all ages and
sexes of Canada. The eye ring looks pretty much white also, another vote
against Canada. I can't get enough on the length or shape of the bill to be
certain either way, but perhaps a better candidate if this isn't a
Nashville would be fall Magnolia Warbler, based on the head pattern. The
lighting of this shot is also not that great, but I don't think it actually
is a Magnolia either. For a Mag to have flank streaks this faint, almost
non-existent (like a first-fall female), you would expect a band of gray
across the upper breast. I see neither streaks nor the gray band. If you
could tell whether there were any wingbars this would be an easier call,
but I can't tell for sure. Finally, even though you can only see the tip of
the tail, the distal tip of the underside should be black, and it isn't in
this shot. Leg color is still a problem, because both Nashville and
Magnolia would have dark if not black legs, but I wonder if it's not a
trick of the poor lighting. I think it probably is a Nashville, all of the
above considered.
Giff Beaton
Marietta GA