This morning while birding at Buck Lake in Brevard County I saw a
White-tailed Kite hunting in the area just behind the Fawn Lake subdivision.
It circled the area for about 5 minutes, stopping several times in mid-air
to hover for a few seconds.  I got good looks at both the upper and lower
sides of the bird.  The black patches on the wrist were very clear.  The
bird came quite close overhead.  I watched it until it circled out of sight
and I did not see it again.  Also seen was a Prairie Warbler, Wild Turkeys
and Bob Whites.

I've been off-line for most of the past month so may have missed some of the
notes on Birdbrains about this list.  I just signed up to FloridaBirds and
if this is not an appropriate subject to post here I hope that someone will
clue me in so I don't do it again.

The entrance to Buck Lake is just west of I95 off of Highway 46.  To get to
the area the kite was seen in it would be easier to go into the Fawn Lake
subdivision which is adjacent to Buck Lake just on the other side of the
power lines.  Drive all the way to the back where the road dead ends.  Park
and climb through the barbed wire (it's easy if you have someone else along
to hold the wire up) to the Buck Lake property.  Hike a short distance
straight back (north?) to the area where there is a big oak hammock to the
west (supposed to be good for Red-headed Woodpeckers here, but I've yet to
see one in the area).  The White-tailed Kite was seen hovering and circling
over the oak hammock and surrounding area.

Cheri Pierce/Apopka,FL