From: Florida Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Andrew Kratter
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 12:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] AOU checklist, canadian warblers

Florida birders ---
The AOU Checklist Committee, of which I am a member, will be very soon be
publishing  its first supplement to the 7th edition, in the July Auk, which
will be in your mailboxes soon.  Although we have been trying to squealch
pre-publication news from the committee, word got out about the
Oldquaw/Long-tailed Duck name change, and now the web-list has hit the
masses before the Auk.  Oh well!  That list is correct, but the details for
all changes will be in the July Auk.  As mentioned in the thread on this
list-serve, the genus Spindalis now has four species  and the group English
name for all four will be Spindalis, which was used until the mid 20th
century.  If Stripe-headed Tanager was kept as the group name, the very
long compound names would have been cumbersome (e.h., Puerto Rico
Stripe-headed Tanager)  and some recent genetic evidence is unclear on
whether Spindalis is even a tanager!   The old Stripe-headed Tanager was
split on the basis of the Garrido et al. paper in the Wilson Bulletin
(GARRIDO, O. H., K. C. PARKES, G. B. REYNARD, A. KIRKCONNELL, and R.
SUTTON.  1997.  Taxonomy of the Stripe-headed Tanager, genus Spindalis
(Aves: Thraupidae) of the West Indies.  Wilson Bulletin 109:561-594.), not
on the basis of the Raffaele et al field guide (Birds of the West Indies).
In general, the  AOUCLC only acts on papers published in peer-reveiwed
journals.   Field guides (e.g., Raffaele et al.'s or Howell and Webb's
Mexican bird guide)  are not peer-reviewed and often do not conform to the
current AOU taxonomy.  A good way to see what we may do in the future (a
favorite past-time for Florida birders?) is to read current bird journals
(especially, Auk, Wilson Bulletin, Condor, Ibis, BBOC, Cotinga) and see
what taxonomic changes are suggested in the papers.  It keeps us busy to
say the least.  You could even read the papers, make your own desicions,
and see if the AOU-CLC follows suit.

On a different note, a few days ago Barbara Passmore kindly passed along
the website with some fine parulid pictures from Canada
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/regisf/diaporama/paruline.html).  I ran through
these and got kind of stuck on the fourth photo, the Paruline a joues
grises (or Nashville Warbler as the AOU-CLC French name index shows) .
When I first saw this I thought it was an immature Canada Warbler.  A few
others around here at the museum thought similarly, although none of us can
definitely put our finger on why it may be a Canada and not a Nashville.
But Bill shape (rather straight), toe and leg color (pinkish?) suggest
Canada.  Take a look.  Any other comments?  Also, I have posted a few
photos from the water-bird bonanza at Newnan's Lake this year on the
museum's web-site
(http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/ornithology/sephotos/birdpint.htm).

Good biriding,

Andy Kratter

Dr. Andrew Kratter, Collections Manager- Ornithology
Florida Museum of Natural History
PO Box 117800
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611 USA