FLORIDA STATEWIDE RARE BIRD ALERT
- * FL0007.23
Phone: 561-340-0079 (for taped message and to report sightings)
* Compilers: Hank and Dotty Hull
email: [log in to unmask]
-Transcript
This is Dotty Hull reporting the Florida Statewide Rare Bird Alert for
Sunday, July 23. This report is sponsored by FLORIDA NATURE TOURS, which
offers two April and two May tours to the Dry Tortugas and several South
Florida tours, as well as private guiding. For information go to
http://www.floridanaturetours.com or call 407-363-1360. Reports are followed
by coordinates from the DeLorme Florida Atlas & Gazatteer. To leave a
report, press 4 now and begin speaking after the tone. Updates during the
summer will be made when reports are available.
SPECIES MENTIONED
WHITE-CHEEKED PINTAIL
BREVARD COUNTY
Two WHITE-CHEEKED PINTAILs were seen in the afternoon on 7/22 at the Brevard
County settling ponds west of I-95. The ducks were not seen this morning,
7/23, and there is concern about the origin of the ducks, since the Brevard
Zoo is only  mile away from the ponds. Someone from Indian River Audubon is
checking with the zoo and I will post an update on this as soon as I know
more. Take I-95 to Wickham Road (Exit #73) and go west. Continue straight
past the no trespassing sign (birders are allowed at the ponds, but do not
stop on the paved roadway.) When the pavement ends, turn right at the dirt
road and make a left when the road forks and turn right at the next road.
This will take you to the two ponds. It is best to drive the perimeter of
the ponds to avoid flushing the birds. De Lorme p. 88, C1
Good Birding!
Documentation of rarities for FL Ornithological Society Records Committee
should be sent to
FOSRC, c/o Archbold Biological Station, PO Box 2057, Lake Placid FL 33862.
Florida Rare Bird Alert Maillist To subscribe go to:
http://FLRBA.listbot.com/
-End transcript