Hi all,

Today at 1500 I observed two White-cheeked pintails in the "Dan Click Wildlife Refuge."  For the uninitiated, that is the settling ponds west of Viera in Brevard County.  To reach the ponds, exit I-95 at Wickham Rd. (#73) and go west.  Ignore the Private Property No Trespassing Sign.  This is a county road.  The property on either side is private, however, so resist the urge to frolic in the sod fields.  As you are approaching the water treatment plant, the pavement ends and you will see a gate on your right leading across the canal.  Go across the canal and make a left.  You will see an open gate on the right.  Go through and you will be at the settling ponds.  There are two cells.  The birds are apt to be in either of them.  It is best to drive all the way to the north end and around to the west side.  If you drive through the middle, you may flush the birds.  Watch the flying Mottled ducks for a slightly smaller bird with a light colored tail.  The birds have been seen together and seperate, with Mottled ducks or without.  They may hide in the thick grass in the north cell or forage in the adjacent sod fields with the Mottled ducks.  They were observed by several observers from 1630 to ca. 1830 this evening.  I am not going to speculate on the origin of these birds.

David Simpson
Sebastian,FL