There is one point I'd like to make about volunteer programs whether they
be FYE courses, study strategy courses, speed reading workshops, etc.  When
you crank out the evalaution data--please do not try to compare the
volunteers to the regular university population or a non-volunteer group on
any measure.  There is likely to be an effect based on the volunteerism.
It will probably make your endeavor look positive, but the practice is not
appropriate.  The misuse of this flawed design was rampant in the FYE
literature and presentations at one point.  There are a few higher
education administrators that understand design issues (although not as
many as one would think---sorry I'm a bit on the cynical side today.)

Norman A. Stahl
Professor and Chair
Literacy Education
GH 223