Print

Print


I love Norman Stahl's comments on volunteers and pizza.

To set the record straight, we never mix evaluations of classes and
workshops.  They are two completely different individuals -  a pizza deluxe
Vs. the vegetarian variety.

Kathy

Kathleen Thayer, Director
Liberal Arts Learning Center
Purdue University
[log in to unmask]
(765) 494-8720
(765) 494-3660 (FAX)
http://www.sla.purdue.edu/lc

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Automatic digest processor [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Saturday, August 26, 2000 2:02 AM
To:     Recipients of LRNASST digests
Subject:        LRNASST Digest - 24 Aug 2000 to 25 Aug 2000 (#2000-202)

There are 15 messages totalling 803 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. FW: academic success seminars (8)
  2. SSS PROGRAMS
  3. Course Hours for developmental students (2)
  4. online tutoring (2)
  5. Math Learning Specialist Position - Kansas City (2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:57:11 -0500
From:    "Thayer, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: academic success seminars

-----Original Message-----
From:   Thayer, Kathleen
Sent:   Friday, August 25, 2000 8:37 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        academic success seminars

Bruce, I noticed your questions this morning.  I've been doing a similar
series for a number of years.  Attendance is still sporadic however I feel
they are very worthwhile for the campus as a whole.  There are times when we
have standing room only (40 attendees) and other times, especially in the
spring, when we have fewer than 10 people.  However there is lots of
competition for students'  time and attention on this campus.

I've found that in voluntary workshops  you need to appeal more to some of
the top concerns and anxieties the students have such as concentration,
stress, procrastination, test taking, reading speed.  You can't do the same
type of things you might do in a classroom situation..  I feel they are an
excellent supplement for the student who might not attend a class and yet
needs the information.  Attendance will often motivate a student dig further
into these issures I've been integrating more group work and found it very
successful.  Students who attend voluntarily are often much more open and
willing to try new strategies.

. We sometimes have instructors who mandate the workshops for their class or
accompany the students to the workshop.  Occasionally I'll have a student
attend all l0 sessions.

Good luck with your program.  Hit as many avenues for advertising as
possible.  We consider the advisers our lifeline to the students.

Kathy

Kathleen Thayer, Director
Liberal Arts Learning Center
Purdue University
[log in to unmask]
(765) 494-8720
(765) 494-3660 (FAX)
http://www.sla.purdue.edu/lc

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:41:26 -0500
From:    Karen Agee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars

I second Kathleen Thayer's comments about students who volunteer for a
course or session.  Instead of going "like a quarry slave scourged to
his dungeon," the student who wants to learn something from a session
probably will.

We offer Speed Reading and Effective Study Strategies classes here at
the U. of Northern Iowa.  They're free, last just four weeks, carry no
credit, and are taught by one of the eight Peer Instructorsor by me.
(There are 13,500+ students on campus, so we're spread pretty thin.)  I
honestly don't know why so many students do sign up for and attend these
classes.  Maybe it's the presentation during summer orientation.  Even
though I didn't telephone my 8:00 MWF Speed Reading students to remind
them class would begin this morning (because I'd overbooked all the
classes and didn't have enough stop watches or chairs if everybody
came), there were only a few students missing -- and they registered for
this course back in June or July.  Classes are smaller and attendance
sparser in the spring, so we offer other modes of instruction then.

The presentations we do in the residence halls may or not be well
attended.  If it's for the whole hall, with refreshments provided by the
hall, we can expect at least 50 students to attend.  If it's for just
one house, with no refreshments, we expect from one to 15 students to
attend.  Each Resident Assistant is expected to put on at least one
academic session per semester; though there's a very broad vision of
what counts as academic, we get many requests.  RAs have to write up
each workshop they host, so they try to get as many residents as
possible to attend.  We try to devise catchy titles and clever themes --
but Linda Mayfield ("Shop Till You Drop!") is way ahead of us there!

You know, frankly, I think if you offered speed reading sessions, you'd
have lots of interest.  Perhaps teach students how to preview a chapter
and then use headings to guide their comprehension -- but call it speed
reading!

Karen Agee

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:58:44 -0500
From:    Marian Alvarez Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SSS PROGRAMS

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060
Content-Type: text/plain;
        charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

HI, UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO - UTUADO STARTED OFFERING 4 YEAR PROGRAMS =
RECENTLY, WE HAVE HAD A BASIC SKILLS PROGRAM FOR OVER 10 YEARS, THE LAST =
5 FUNDED BY TITTLE III PROGRAM, IT IS ALMOST APROVE BY THE UNIVERSITY =
AUTHORITIES TO BECOME PART OF THE REGULAR CLASS PROGRAM,  NOW, THIS IS =
MY QUESTION =BF?
NOW, WE ARE WORKING WITH ESTABLISH AN SSS PROGRAM, CAN YOU HELP ME IN =
THIS ONE, CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN, AND IF THEY HAVE AN SSS PROGRAM, WHAT IS =
THEIR EXPERIENCE, COMPONENTS......??????

THANKS
Marian M. Alvarez-Collins
[log in to unmask]
University of Puerto Rico - Utuado

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060
Content-Type: text/html;
        charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>HI, UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO - UTUADO =
STARTED=20
OFFERING 4 YEAR PROGRAMS RECENTLY, WE HAVE HAD A BASIC SKILLS PROGRAM =
FOR OVER=20
10 YEARS, THE LAST 5 FUNDED BY TITTLE III PROGRAM, IT IS ALMOST APROVE =
BY THE=20
UNIVERSITY AUTHORITIES TO BECOME PART OF THE REGULAR CLASS =
PROGRAM,&nbsp; NOW,=20
THIS IS MY QUESTION =BF?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>NOW, WE ARE WORKING WITH ESTABLISH AN =
SSS PROGRAM,=20
CAN YOU HELP ME IN THIS ONE, CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN, AND IF THEY HAVE AN =
SSS=20
PROGRAM, WHAT IS THEIR EXPERIENCE, COMPONENTS......??????</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>THANKS</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Marian M. Alvarez-Collins</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</=
A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>University of Puerto Rico -=20
Utuado</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060--

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:39:02 -0700
From:    Norman Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars

There is one point I'd like to make about volunteer programs whether they
be FYE courses, study strategy courses, speed reading workshops, etc.  When
you crank out the evalaution data--please do not try to compare the
volunteers to the regular university population or a non-volunteer group on
any measure.  There is likely to be an effect based on the volunteerism.
It will probably make your endeavor look positive, but the practice is not
appropriate.  The misuse of this flawed design was rampant in the FYE
literature and presentations at one point.  There are a few higher
education administrators that understand design issues (although not as
many as one would think---sorry I'm a bit on the cynical side today.)

Norman A. Stahl
Professor and Chair
Literacy Education
GH 223
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115

Phone: (815) 753-9032
FAX:   (815) 753-8563
[log in to unmask]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:42:51 -0400
From:    "L. Steven Boone x3697" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars

Speed reading...

Once again, I find myself bristling. The worst thing any student could say
to me is that they engaged in speed reading something I wrote or a reading
I assigned. Explaining the reading process to students is prudent; I can't
endorse speed reading in higher education.

The reading demands over the years have changed radically. Instead of
taking a careful look at these changes, we have asked students to go into
warp 10 to keep up. We should be promoting less reading and far more
structured reflection, meaning thinking and writing, on reading
assignments.

Henry Brown, written in 1829

O books! books! books! it makes me sick
To think how ye are multiplied,
Like Egypt's frogs, ye poke up thick
Your ugly heads on every side.

If a new thought but shakes its ear
Or wags its tail, tho' starved it look,
The world the precious news must hear
The presses groan, and lo! a book.

Best,

Steven

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~
L. Steven Boone         Towson University       [log in to unmask]
Reading, Special        8000 York RD            (410) 830-3697
Education and           Towson, MD 21252-0001
Instructional
Technology              http://www.towson.edu/~boone/
                        http://saber.towson.edu/~boone/deam/   DEAM (NADE)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:15:12 -0500
From:    Elizabeth Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Course Hours for developmental students

Hi, All,

Here at Baton Rouge Community College we currently offer developmental math,
English, and reading four days a week with Friday reserved for individual
work
in the Academic Learning Center.  There is an emerging opinion from
administration that developmental class hours should be cut back to three
hours a week.

Are there others of you who provide more instruction and contact time during
the week for developmental students than you do for the college-level
student?  Do you find the extra time in class beneficial to your
developmental
students?  What arguments would you offer, if at all, to counter the push to
cut back the contact and instruction time?

Have any of you conducted recent studies that compare the benefits of
developmental classes meeting four days a week to those meeting three days a
week?

Thanks.

Elizabeth


[log in to unmask] wrote:

> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>         charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> HI, UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO - UTUADO STARTED OFFERING 4 YEAR PROGRAMS =
> RECENTLY, WE HAVE HAD A BASIC SKILLS PROGRAM FOR OVER 10 YEARS, THE LAST =
> 5 FUNDED BY TITTLE III PROGRAM, IT IS ALMOST APROVE BY THE UNIVERSITY =
> AUTHORITIES TO BECOME PART OF THE REGULAR CLASS PROGRAM,  NOW, THIS IS =
> MY QUESTION =BF?
> NOW, WE ARE WORKING WITH ESTABLISH AN SSS PROGRAM, CAN YOU HELP ME IN =
> THIS ONE, CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN, AND IF THEY HAVE AN SSS PROGRAM, WHAT IS =
> THEIR EXPERIENCE, COMPONENTS......??????
>
> THANKS
> Marian M. Alvarez-Collins
> [log in to unmask]
> University of Puerto Rico - Utuado
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060
> Content-Type: text/html;
>         charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>HI, UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO - UTUADO =
> STARTED=20
> OFFERING 4 YEAR PROGRAMS RECENTLY, WE HAVE HAD A BASIC SKILLS PROGRAM =
> FOR OVER=20
> 10 YEARS, THE LAST 5 FUNDED BY TITTLE III PROGRAM, IT IS ALMOST APROVE =
> BY THE=20
> UNIVERSITY AUTHORITIES TO BECOME PART OF THE REGULAR CLASS =
> PROGRAM,&nbsp; NOW,=20
> THIS IS MY QUESTION =BF?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>NOW, WE ARE WORKING WITH ESTABLISH AN =
> SSS PROGRAM,=20
> CAN YOU HELP ME IN THIS ONE, CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN, AND IF THEY HAVE AN =
> SSS=20
> PROGRAM, WHAT IS THEIR EXPERIENCE, COMPONENTS......??????</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>THANKS</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Marian M. Alvarez-Collins</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
> href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</=
> A></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>University of Puerto Rico -=20
> Utuado</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060--

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:55:30 -0700
From:    Marcy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: online tutoring

--=====================_4912042==_.ALT
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed


>Hello All Lrnassters--

I'd be happy to share my experiences developing, implementing, and
maintaining an online tutoring program with anyone who is
interested.  About five years ago, a colleague of mine who was at Mount
Saint Mary's in Los Angeles and I developed the first online tutoring
program of its kind--at the time, we could find no others that existed,
except for OWL's.  Now I see many other programs around that have taken our
idea and run with it!!   We've presented the program at conferences for
CRLA, SWADE, ACCTLA, League for Innovation, Telecon, Syllabus, and about 20
- 30 other times (I've even offered my services to the Winter Institute .
....!!!).  Please contact me if you would like more info!  I'd be happy to
share!

Marcy Morris



************************************************************
Marcelle Morris
Learning Center Coordinator
Citrus College
1000 W. Foothill Bl.
Glendora,California  91741
(626) 914-8571
[log in to unmask]

--=====================_4912042==_.ALT
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<html>
<blockquote type=cite cite>Hello All Lrnassters--</blockquote><br>
I'd be happy to share my experiences developing, implementing, and
maintaining an online tutoring program with anyone who is
interested.&nbsp; About five years ago, a colleague of mine who was at
Mount Saint Mary's in Los Angeles and I developed the <b>first </b>online
tutoring program of its kind--at the time, we could find no others that
existed, except for OWL's.&nbsp; Now I see many other programs around
that have taken our idea and run with it!!&nbsp;&nbsp; We've presented
the program at conferences for CRLA, SWADE, ACCTLA, League for
Innovation, Telecon, Syllabus, and about 20 - 30 other times (I've even
offered my services to the Winter Institute . ....!!!).&nbsp; Please
contact me if you would like more info!&nbsp; I'd be happy to
share!<br>
<br>
Marcy Morris<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<div>************************************************************</div>
<div>Marcelle Morris</div>
<div>Learning Center Coordinator</div>
<div>Citrus College</div>
<div>1000 W. Foothill Bl.</div>
<div>Glendora,California&nbsp; 91741</div>
<div>(626) 914-8571 </div>
<div>[log in to unmask]</div>
</html>

--=====================_4912042==_.ALT--

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:51:18 -0400
From:    Elizabeth Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: online tutoring

Marcy, could you direct us to a website?  Sending attachments to the list is
always problematic, and you'd go broke snailmailing to all who want info!

Liz Dewey (yes, I started this thread)

Marcy Morris wrote:

> --=====================_4912042==_.ALT
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>
> >Hello All Lrnassters--
>
> I'd be happy to share my experiences developing, implementing, and
> maintaining an online tutoring program with anyone who is
> interested.  About five years ago, a colleague of mine who was at Mount
> Saint Mary's in Los Angeles and I developed the first online tutoring
> program of its kind--at the time, we could find no others that existed,
> except for OWL's.  Now I see many other programs around that have taken
our
> idea and run with it!!   We've presented the program at conferences for
> CRLA, SWADE, ACCTLA, League for Innovation, Telecon, Syllabus, and about
20
> - 30 other times (I've even offered my services to the Winter Institute .
> ....!!!).  Please contact me if you would like more info!  I'd be happy to
> share!
>
> Marcy Morris
>
> ************************************************************
> Marcelle Morris
> Learning Center Coordinator
> Citrus College
> 1000 W. Foothill Bl.
> Glendora,California  91741
> (626) 914-8571
> [log in to unmask]
>
> --=====================_4912042==_.ALT
> Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
>
> <html>
> <blockquote type=cite cite>Hello All Lrnassters--</blockquote><br>
> I'd be happy to share my experiences developing, implementing, and
> maintaining an online tutoring program with anyone who is
> interested.&nbsp; About five years ago, a colleague of mine who was at
> Mount Saint Mary's in Los Angeles and I developed the <b>first </b>online
> tutoring program of its kind--at the time, we could find no others that
> existed, except for OWL's.&nbsp; Now I see many other programs around
> that have taken our idea and run with it!!&nbsp;&nbsp; We've presented
> the program at conferences for CRLA, SWADE, ACCTLA, League for
> Innovation, Telecon, Syllabus, and about 20 - 30 other times (I've even
> offered my services to the Winter Institute . ....!!!).&nbsp; Please
> contact me if you would like more info!&nbsp; I'd be happy to
> share!<br>
> <br>
> Marcy Morris<br>
> <br>
> <br>
> <br>
> <div>************************************************************</div>
> <div>Marcelle Morris</div>
> <div>Learning Center Coordinator</div>
> <div>Citrus College</div>
> <div>1000 W. Foothill Bl.</div>
> <div>Glendora,California&nbsp; 91741</div>
> <div>(626) 914-8571 </div>
> <div>[log in to unmask]</div>
> </html>
>
> --=====================_4912042==_.ALT--

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:56:26 -0500
From:    Shelli Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Math Learning Specialist Position - Kansas City

Penn Valley Community College Student Support Services is currently
accepting applications for the position of Math Learning Specialist.  The
description is listed below.  Project Success (Student Support Services) is
a federally funded program committed to the needs of Low Income, First
Generation college students and Students with Disabilities.  We welcome all
qualified applicants.  If you have any questions regarding the position,
please respond to this message or call Shelli Allen at (816) 759-4316.

Bachelors degree in Mathematics or related field Two (2)
      years full-time work experience or equivalent part-time
      experience in directly related field. Teaching experience
      or direct experience working with individualized instruction
      at the adult level preferred. Well developed interpersonal
      skills to relate effectively with students from a variety of
      backgrounds, including patience with under-prepared or
      demanding students. Starting pay is
      $13.09 to $14.30 per hour. Position is open until filled.


Director of Project Success (SSS)
Penn Valley Community College
Kansas City, MO

"We must be the change we want to see in the world."  --Ghandi

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:18:56 -0700
From:    Helen Sabin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars

Yeah for Norman-he is not being cynical, but correct in his comments.  Too
many
"research" results from colleges and universities are not designed properly
and
we blindly follow what we read.  Keep us on the straight and narrow, Norman.
Helen Sabin
El Camino College

Norman Stahl wrote:

> There is one point I'd like to make about volunteer programs whether they
> be FYE courses, study strategy courses, speed reading workshops, etc.
When
> you crank out the evalaution data--please do not try to compare the
> volunteers to the regular university population or a non-volunteer group
on
> any measure.  There is likely to be an effect based on the volunteerism.
> It will probably make your endeavor look positive, but the practice is not
> appropriate.  The misuse of this flawed design was rampant in the FYE
> literature and presentations at one point.  There are a few higher
> education administrators that understand design issues (although not as
> many as one would think---sorry I'm a bit on the cynical side today.)
>
> Norman A. Stahl
> Professor and Chair
> Literacy Education
> GH 223
> Northern Illinois University
> DeKalb, IL 60115
>
> Phone: (815) 753-9032
> FAX:   (815) 753-8563
> [log in to unmask]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:41:58 -0500
From:    Maureen Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Math Learning Specialist Position - Kansas City

Shelli! Hi

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/25/00 12:56PM >>>
Penn Valley Community College Student Support Services is currently
accepting applications for the position of Math Learning Specialist.  The
description is listed below.  Project Success (Student Support Services) is
a federally funded program committed to the needs of Low Income, First
Generation college students and Students with Disabilities.  We welcome all
qualified applicants.  If you have any questions regarding the position,
please respond to this message or call Shelli Allen at (816) 759-4316.

Bachelors degree in Mathematics or related field Two (2)
      years full-time work experience or equivalent part-time
      experience in directly related field. Teaching experience
      or direct experience working with individualized instruction
      at the adult level preferred. Well developed interpersonal
      skills to relate effectively with students from a variety of
      backgrounds, including patience with under-prepared or
      demanding students. Starting pay is
      $13.09 to $14.30 per hour. Position is open until filled.


Director of Project Success (SSS)
Penn Valley Community College
Kansas City, MO

"We must be the change we want to see in the world."  --Ghandi

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:06:16 -0400
From:    Shirley Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Course Hours for developmental students

Elizabeth,
This is in response to your question about cutting back on the number of
contact hours for developmental classes. For our reading classes, we meet
only two days per week in the classroom, which is not enough, then we
augment with two hours of computer work in the learning center. Students
spend one of those two hours with the instructor in a small group of 4-5.
The other hour (or more if desired) is on their own at a time convenient for
them. I am pushing to increase our class time to three days per week. I also
hope to have our education students take over as individual mentors for the
reading labs. The instructor would then have a 10-15 minute conference with
each individual sometime during the week. This would give more individual
attention, not only from the instructor, but also from their peers. Any
comments out there?
Shirley

<<< Elizabeth Lee <[log in to unmask]>  8/25 12:15p >>>
Hi, All,

Here at Baton Rouge Community College we currently offer developmental math,
English, and reading four days a week with Friday reserved for individual
work
in the Academic Learning Center.  There is an emerging opinion from
administration that developmental class hours should be cut back to three
hours a week.

Are there others of you who provide more instruction and contact time during
the week for developmental students than you do for the college-level
student?  Do you find the extra time in class beneficial to your
developmental
students?  What arguments would you offer, if at all, to counter the push to
cut back the contact and instruction time?

Have any of you conducted recent studies that compare the benefits of
developmental classes meeting four days a week to those meeting three days a
week?

Thanks.

Elizabeth


[log in to unmask] wrote:

> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>         charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> HI, UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO - UTUADO STARTED OFFERING 4 YEAR PROGRAMS =
> RECENTLY, WE HAVE HAD A BASIC SKILLS PROGRAM FOR OVER 10 YEARS, THE LAST =
> 5 FUNDED BY TITTLE III PROGRAM, IT IS ALMOST APROVE BY THE UNIVERSITY =
> AUTHORITIES TO BECOME PART OF THE REGULAR CLASS PROGRAM,  NOW, THIS IS =
> MY QUESTION =BF?
> NOW, WE ARE WORKING WITH ESTABLISH AN SSS PROGRAM, CAN YOU HELP ME IN =
> THIS ONE, CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN, AND IF THEY HAVE AN SSS PROGRAM, WHAT IS =
> THEIR EXPERIENCE, COMPONENTS......??????
>
> THANKS
> Marian M. Alvarez-Collins
> [log in to unmask]
> University of Puerto Rico - Utuado
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060
> Content-Type: text/html;
>         charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>HI, UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO - UTUADO =
> STARTED=20
> OFFERING 4 YEAR PROGRAMS RECENTLY, WE HAVE HAD A BASIC SKILLS PROGRAM =
> FOR OVER=20
> 10 YEARS, THE LAST 5 FUNDED BY TITTLE III PROGRAM, IT IS ALMOST APROVE =
> BY THE=20
> UNIVERSITY AUTHORITIES TO BECOME PART OF THE REGULAR CLASS =
> PROGRAM,* NOW,=20
> THIS IS MY QUESTION =BF?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>NOW, WE ARE WORKING WITH ESTABLISH AN =
> SSS PROGRAM,=20
> CAN YOU HELP ME IN THIS ONE, CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN, AND IF THEY HAVE AN =
> SSS=20
> PROGRAM, WHAT IS THEIR EXPERIENCE, COMPONENTS......??????</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>*</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>THANKS</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Marian M. Alvarez-Collins</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
> href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</=
> A></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>University of Puerto Rico -=20
> Utuado</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C00E83.6FE42060--

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:11:53 -0400
From:    Stephanie Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars

But... what is the difference between students who volunteer because they
want the information and those that volunteer because they want the free
pizza? :)

Another issue is the reliance on self report in evaluation -- I am not quite
sure how else to measure changes after a short term intervention such as a
workshop.  Any suggestions about instrumentation?

-----Original Message-----
From: Norman Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, August 25, 2000 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars


>There is one point I'd like to make about volunteer programs whether they
>be FYE courses, study strategy courses, speed reading workshops, etc.  When
>you crank out the evalaution data--please do not try to compare the
>volunteers to the regular university population or a non-volunteer group on
>any measure.  There is likely to be an effect based on the volunteerism.
>It will probably make your endeavor look positive, but the practice is not
>appropriate.  The misuse of this flawed design was rampant in the FYE
>literature and presentations at one point.  There are a few higher
>education administrators that understand design issues (although not as
>many as one would think---sorry I'm a bit on the cynical side today.)
>
>Norman A. Stahl
>Professor and Chair
>Literacy Education
>GH 223
>Northern Illinois University
>DeKalb, IL 60115
>
>Phone: (815) 753-9032
>FAX:   (815) 753-8563
>[log in to unmask]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:22:46 -0500
From:    Stanley Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars

unsubscribe

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/25/00 03:11PM >>>
But... what is the difference between students who volunteer because they
want the information and those that volunteer because they want the free
pizza? :)

Another issue is the reliance on self report in evaluation -- I am not quite
sure how else to measure changes after a short term intervention such as a
workshop.  Any suggestions about instrumentation?

-----Original Message-----
From: Norman Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, August 25, 2000 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars


>There is one point I'd like to make about volunteer programs whether they
>be FYE courses, study strategy courses, speed reading workshops, etc.  When
>you crank out the evalaution data--please do not try to compare the
>volunteers to the regular university population or a non-volunteer group on
>any measure.  There is likely to be an effect based on the volunteerism.
>It will probably make your endeavor look positive, but the practice is not
>appropriate.  The misuse of this flawed design was rampant in the FYE
>literature and presentations at one point.  There are a few higher
>education administrators that understand design issues (although not as
>many as one would think---sorry I'm a bit on the cynical side today.)
>
>Norman A. Stahl
>Professor and Chair
>Literacy Education
>GH 223
>Northern Illinois University
>DeKalb, IL 60115
>
>Phone: (815) 753-9032
>FAX:   (815) 753-8563
>[log in to unmask]
>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:33:25 -0700
From:    Norman Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: academic success seminars

Answer #1 for Stephanie--research shows that

Volunteers who want information will be the best students and also graduate.

Volunteers who want pizza may graduate and if they do -- they will become
long time graduate students.

Research has yet to demonstrate whether preference for a particular pizza
will predict eventual enrollment in a doctoral program.

(it's late Friday and classes start Monday so it's crazy time.)

Norman A. Stahl
Professor and Chair
Literacy Education
GH 223
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115

Phone: (815) 753-9032
FAX:   (815) 753-8563
[log in to unmask]

------------------------------

End of LRNASST Digest - 24 Aug 2000 to 25 Aug 2000 (#2000-202)
**************************************************************