I believe that there are two types of strategies that come into play in
Karen's examples.

Sequential strategies are step by step (tactic by tactic).  At times there
may be necessary sidesteps (metacognitive facility is invovled here) in
achieving the goal.  Still at the end of the trail you are supposed to get
to big rock candy mountain.

Cumulative strategies are when the total weight of the actions all of a
sudden build up to a point where the goal is met.  The aha Karen notes.

There is a place for each.  This choice in the long run may be a function
of the context, the task, and the will.  The 20th century (modern era) was
built upon the former strategy.  The postmodern -- perhaps will be build on
the latter strategy.

Where I'm intrigued is in B.H. Lindell Hart's ideas about indirect
strategy.  This says that the best way to get from A to Z is not always by
hitting B and C and D....(direct strategy), but may be by taking a
different route --- in some cases so as to avoid something.  He was
particularly concerned with mind upon mind---but I've wondered for some
time if it was not equally useful for mind over task.  We have all used
indirect strategy but our Puritan upbringings lead us to feel gulity
--eventually.

As for measurement of the effectiveness of a workshop--I'd use the upfront
evaluation to look at delivery, content that was presented, ideas for
revision, etc.  If you wish to find out if there was impact one hour or six
weeks later, you have got to ask your questions at that point.

Make sense???

Norman A. Stahl
Professor and Chair
Literacy Education