Thanks for the ideas, Carolyn.

I like the idea of surveying the group to see how everyone has scored. It
sounds like a good way to get instructors talking about their teaching.

I appreciate your help.

mark

At 09:28 AM 08/08/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Just a quick idea that I use and it's very effective in opening teacher's
minds to new ways of teaching.  I learned this in 4MAT training and have
used it with other learning styles instruments.  Have the teachers take a
learning styles assessment as you are already doing.  When they have their
own results, divide the room according to their results, ie, have all the
visual stand in one corner, all the auditory learners in another, the
"hands-on" in another, etc.  Then ask them to look around at how many
auditory learners there are.  This group is usually the smallest.  Then ask
them how they teach.  Usually teachers lecture.  Yet, how many of us are
auditory?  This is not foolproof and definitely not scientific.  But it
works 99% of the time and makes a wonderful point.  By the way, I do not do
this with high school or younger students beyond discussing how they can
adapt their learning style to the teacher's style.  They feel stressed to
have their individual behaviors discu!