But do you actually enjoy reading those novels on a computer screen?

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Damashek <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: from Academe Today

> I'd like to weigh in on this issue of the future of books. In the
last
twenty
> years, I have seen a proliferation of book stores. They get larger
and
more
> inclusive. They not only sell books, but they become up to date
libraries in
> which readers can browse and read to their hearts content. I'm
referring to
> the Barnes and Noble, Crown Books, and that other large book store
(the name
> is escaping me). These book stores appear to be as popular as coffee
shops or
> bars. They open early and stay open late. The reason for their
existence is
> that people are hungry for books. I DON'T see the problem of the
extinction
> of book culture. If anything, I see a renaissance in book culture.

While there may well be a renaissance in book culture, I question
whether one is required.  What difference does it make whether paper
and
ink are used?  One of my favorite CDs is from Project Gutenberg.  Over
thousand novels in my office in 1/4 inch of shelf space!

Prof. Eric Kaljumagi
LAC/Math
Mt. San Antonio College