I believe you should have such a policy. At the Univ of Iowa this is not a
gray area at all. (It comes under the headings of 'ethics' and 'conflict of
interest'.)

It is NOT OK for anyone who teaches, grades papers, or in any other way may
have an influence on grades earned in a course to accept payment for
tutoring a student in that course. This policy is established by the
College of Liberal Arts but is generally applied throughout the University.

Roger Child, Director
Student Support Services
(New Dimensions In Learning)
The University of Iowa
310 Calvin Hall
IOWA CITY  IA  52242
319-335-1288
http://www.uiowa.edu/~ossp/ndil/

>We are considering implementing a new policy in our academic support center
>barring our writing tutors from tutoring the students they also teach in
>their own writing classes.
<<<SNIP>>>