According to this piece from Academe Today, too many people are going to
college. The author erroneously states that remedial education began in the
1980s. However, Remedial education actually began much earlier. Harvard
certainly had remedial education in the 19th century as the doors to higher
education were opened to immigrants and graduates of the "new" public high
schools. I'm sure the case was made then, as it is now, that these students
are being done a disservice by allowing them to think they can attain a
degree.

If the job of education is merely to provide a skilled workforce, then,
perhaps, there should be something in addition to college or university
beyond the trade schools. Of course, the same business leaders who complain
about a shortage of skilled workers, often set barriers to promotion by
making a college degree the entrance requirement.

In our teaching experience, haven't we all encountered the student who did
not apply his/herself in high school or for whatever reason didn't get a
firm grounding in high school, but had the intelligence, the desire, and the
will to get an education? Those students benefit from some remedial support
and go on to become excellent students and productive members of the
workforce. I believe the real issue is a sense of elitism, that higher
education is only for a chosen few. What if the division between the highly
educated and the skilled workforce became too great? The benefits of a
liberal arts education are to expand the thinking of students; to encourage
them to think outside the box of a narrow discipline or skill.

No one wants to encourage a student who has no ability whatsoever, but
should one be so quick to judge?

These are just a few thoughts from a first generation college student who
didn't need remedial studies but has dedicated her life to helping others
overcome barriers to higher education.
Cris
Cris Richardson
Assistant Director, Learning Center