In theory, assistance provided by professors, instructors, TAs, etc. is
equally available to all students enrolled in the course and the cost of
such assistance is covered by tuition.

Part of the intent of a conflict of interest policy is to not give (nor
appear to give) some students an unfair advantage. If a student can pay for
(or qualifies for a program that pays for) extra help provided by someone
who has an 'inside track' to test content and grading processes, it at
least presents the possibility of, or opportunity for unethical conduct.
This is not to suggest that such behavior WILL occur, but to reduce the
likelyhood such charges could be made.

If either the element of payment for services or the 'inside track'
characteristic are removed from the picture, we have much less of a problem.

If a student can afford to pay for tutoring on a private basis, this is
generally outside the realm of institutional policy. BUT, if the person
doing the tutoring in this case has a current 'insider' roll -- especially
if they are already compensated in any way by the institution for that
roll, then we clearly have an ethical issue.

Roger Child, Director
Student Support Services
(New Dimensions In Learning)
The University of Iowa