Jessica,

We have actually instituted this as policy that tutors should not tutor
their own students. Apparently, it was raised long ago as an ethical issue
since we pay our tutors. Teachers could literally increase their pay by
directing their students to the Tutoring Center and telling them when they
would be available to tutor them. However, this applies only to
appointments, not to walk-ins, so it depends on the structure of your
academic support center.

Hope this helps,
Sandie Miller,
Director of Learning Assistance Centers & Support Services

At 10:37 AM 8/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
>We are considering implementing a new policy in our academic support center
>barring our writing tutors from tutoring the students they also teach in
>their own writing classes.  It is sort of a gray area for us, and we are not
>sure if implementing such a policy would be too rigid or whether it is
>absolutely necessary.  Is this an issue for anyone else?  How have you dealt
>with it?
>
>Thanks.

>Jessica Connor
>Coordinator of Developmental Writing
>Nova Southeastern University, Academic Services
>(954) 262-8351

"The illiterate of the year 2000 will not be the individual who cannot read
and write, but the one who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn."
                Alvin Toffler