From: Craig Andres
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 8/14/00 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: Tutoring policies

But the teacher is already getting paid to teach
the course.
And the student is allowed to see the instructor
during office hours I would guess.
So how is tutoring any different than office
hours.

In fact, one of the ways I bring students into my
tutor lab is through teaching courses.  It builds
a reputation for the tutor lab being helpful, and
the students tell students in other sections of
the course about this important resource.

Roger Child wrote:

> I believe you should have such a policy. At the Univ of Iowa this is
not a
> gray area at all. (It comes under the headings of 'ethics' and
'conflict of
> interest'.)
>
> It is NOT OK for anyone who teaches, grades papers, or in any other
way may
> have an influence on grades earned in a course to accept payment for
> tutoring a student in that course. This policy is established by the
> College of Liberal Arts but is generally applied throughout the
University.

--
Craig Andres
Kettering University

"We must look forward to the future as that is
where most of us will be spending the rest of our
lives."  Charles Kettering.