        I am concerned that part of the efforts to "maintain quality"
in higher education derive from an inability to accept change, both
in the nature and content of education, and in the nature and content
of our society. Do we seek to restore "quality" in higher education
by decreasing access to any level of education that will make those
able to attend more knowledgeable and better able to participate in
society - with or without a degree? Do we want colleges and
universities to revert to being "havens for the elite and the
academically qualified?"

Cynthia Linton

Cynthia A. LINTON
Learning Center Director
http://dcr.csusb.edu/LearningCenter/
California State University, San Bernardino
5500 University Prkwy.
San Bernardino, CA 92407-2397
Telephone: (909) 880-5000, ext.3037 / Fax: (909) 880-7058
E-mail address: [log in to unmask]