PalatinoI am concerned that part of the efforts to "maintain quality" in higher education derive from an inability to accept change, both in the nature and content of education, and in the nature and content of our society. Do we seek to restore "quality" in higher education by decreasing access to any level of education that will make those able to attend more knowledgeable and better able to participate in society - with or without a degree? Do we want colleges and universities to revert to being "havens for the elite and the academically qualified?" Cynthia Linton x Cynthia A. LINTON Learning Center Director http://dcr.csusb.edu/LearningCenter/ California State University, San Bernardino 5500 University Prkwy. San Bernardino, CA 92407-2397 Telephone: (909) 880-5000, ext.3037 / Fax: (909) 880-7058 E-mail address: [log in to unmask]