I have used portfolio assessment for PART of a reading course, not all of
it, and I  would be happy to share information about that experience. Also,
I do a workshop for Houghton Mifflin as part fo their Faculty Development
Program on that topic.

Some helpful resources are:

1.      Characteristics of Student Perfroamnc as Factors in Portfolio
Assessment, Roseanne DeFabio;
2.      Using Portfolios to Negotiate a Rhetorical Community, Marian Galbraith,
et al;
3.      Use of Portfolios in Assessment of Literature Learning, Karen Kolanowski

        1-3 are all from National Research Center on Literature and Learning,
University at Albany, SUNY, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany NY 12222. These
were published as part of a grant (R117G10015) in 1994.

4.      Classroom Assessment of Reading Processes by Rebecca Swearingen and Dian
Allen, published by Houghton Mifflin, ISBN # 0-395-69760-3 is designed for
use in a k-12 program but can be adapted.

4.      Community of Classrooms, a collaborative effort by writing and reading
instructors in the Minnesota Community Colleges is perhaps the most useful
, accessible, and relevant for our developmental programs. Send $10 for
copying and shipping to: Mary Diedrich, System Director of Assessment,
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, 700 World Trade Center, 30 E.
7th Street, St. Paul, Minnesota, 55101.

Maggi Miller
Austin Community College

You asked:

I have a question on another topic: Do any of you use portfolio assessment
for reading or know of literature regarding its use for this purpose?  I
have used it for writing and other content topics, and understand its use
quite well in those arenas.  We also use reader response to self-selected
novels in our reading classes.  I looked through the LRNASST archives and
didn't find a previous discussion.  Any insights you could give me would be
appreciated.

Linda S. Evans, Ph.D.
Director, Reading & Learning Program
SVC 2124