I used this same strategy two years ago, but had the students first estimate
how they THOUGHT they used their time.  One section's stated activities
totalled 180 hours a week, and another was only 140--maybe one was stealing
time from the other?  It did motivate them to see how they were REALLY
spending their time--one to find out how in the world they were cramming 180
hours of activities into 168 a week, and the other to find our how they were
losing/wasting 28 hours a week.
Linda Riggs Mayfield, MA
Associate Faculty for Academic Enhancement

       Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing
Quincy, IL 62305-7005