From: Lisa Dague <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: Smile, Your (sic) On Candid Computer

>I find this site a bit disturbing.  On first glance, it seems to be a
wonderful idea:  a place where students can provide information on courses
and instructors anonymously.  Ideally, it would give constructive feedback
for instructors to improve their methods and course design and help students
find teachers who could meet their learning needs.

>Unfortunately, a number of the reviews I read at the site seemed to be more
malicious diatribe than impartial review or feedback:  "It's rumored he
cried when _Ellen_ was canceled."  There is no warning on the site for
students to consider that one person's opinion may not be the only opinion
or that the survey hardly represents a scientific sample of the population
of students taking any given course.  There is no guarantee that any of the
information submitted by students is true.  All the reviews I read were
reportedly written by students who got A's.  Hmm....  I wonder who would
admit to anything less on a website read by millions, even anonymously.