Richardson Cris wrote:

> If the job of education is merely to provide a skilled workforce, then,
> perhaps, there should be something in addition to college or university
> beyond the trade schools.

"Merely" isn't the best word here; however, providing job skills and training
most certainly is part of education's job.

> ...the student who did not apply his/herself in high school or for whatever
> reason didn't get a firm grounding in high school, but had the intelligence,
> the desire, and the
> will to get an education? Those students benefit from some remedial support
> and go on to become excellent students and productive members of the
> workforce.

Sure they will.  But do they need a bachelor's degree?  I think the article is
hitting (or should be hitting) the fact that thousands of jobs and careers are
open to people without a "traditional" college education.  As a community
college, my institution and others need to address that need-- the need for
nurses, health care providers, technicians of every stripe who definitely need
education beyond high school but don't require a B.A.

> I believe the real issue is a sense of elitism, that higher education is only
> for a chosen few. What if the division between the highly educated and the
> skilled workforce became too great?

It's always been great.  Only in the last century have we made strides toward
equalizing access to education and information.

> The benefits of a liberal arts education are to expand the thinking of
> students; to encourage them to think outside the box of a narrow discipline or
> skill.

True-- but none of this requires a bachelor's either.

Liz Dewey
Delta College