Richardson Cris wrote:

If the job of education is merely to provide a skilled workforce, then,
perhaps, there should be something in addition to college or university
beyond the trade schools.
"Merely" isn't the best word here; however, providing job skills and training most certainly is part of education's job.
...the student who did not apply his/herself in high school or for whatever reason didn't get a firm grounding in high school, but had the intelligence, the desire, and the
will to get an education? Those students benefit from some remedial support
and go on to become excellent students and productive members of the
workforce.
Sure they will.  But do they need a bachelor's degree?  I think the article is hitting (or should be hitting) the fact that thousands of jobs and careers are open to people without a "traditional" college education.  As a community college, my institution and others need to address that need-- the need for nurses, health care providers, technicians of every stripe who definitely need education beyond high school but don't require a B.A.
I believe the real issue is a sense of elitism, that higher education is only for a chosen few. What if the division between the highly educated and the skilled workforce became too great?
It's always been great.  Only in the last century have we made strides toward equalizing access to education and information.
The benefits of a liberal arts education are to expand the thinking of students; to encourage them to think outside the box of a narrow discipline or skill.
True-- but none of this requires a bachelor's either.

Liz Dewey
Delta College