Cynthia,
There are arguments on both sides of the issue.  As far as quality, I have seen
recent Ph.D's who cannot speak grammatical English, write coherently, nor spell
correctly.  I have also seen lower ability students who were given a chance to
make good.  With life income higher due to a college degree, there will be a push
to get a degree.  However, try to get a trained service man.  Mechanics make
$66.50 an hour-more pay than most adjuncts with Ph.d.'s receive.  I think we need
to push vocational education more in the high school and in the community college
level.  That would ease the "college degree" mania that is sweeping the country.
If folks realize that a good life career can be made by fixing washers, or
repairing cars, or whatever, then the debate will ease.  It is also not helped by
our soon to be former president saying in his farewell (thank God!) speech that
the Democrats will ensure a "college education" for those who want one.  Wanting
versus needing to work for it are two different things and that is part of the
problem that fuels this debate.
Helen Sabin
Pepperdine University/Connected University