From: "Barbara Putman" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 10:02 AM
Subject: help! need stats on study skills courses

> Help! In my first month on the job, I've been asked to provide a
research-based rationale for reviving a required study skills/college
success course for our Dev. Ed. stus.  Does anyone have any direct links to
research/supporting stats.?  I've accessed  many of Boylan's articles from
the NADE and NCDE sites, but the stats he uses to support DevEd in general
are more useful for our long-term efforts to promote a climate change (in
faculty attitudes toward dev. ed.) rather than our short-term efforts to
convince faculty that study skills courses "work", at least as a stop-gap
measure.  I know that a more effective approach is thru a SI model or
cross-curricular approach to integrating ss instruction into curriculum
courses, but this is the approach that is approved for Fall.  We have to
start somewhere!