Elizabeth,
This is in response to your question about cutting back on the number of contact hours for developmental classes. For our reading classes, we meet only two days per week in the classroom, which is not enough, then we augment with two hours of computer work in the learning center. Students spend one of those two hours with the instructor in a small group of 4-5. The other hour (or more if desired) is on their own at a time convenient for them. I am pushing to increase our class time to three days per week. I also hope to have our education students take over as individual mentors for the reading labs. The instructor would then have a 10-15 minute conference with each individual sometime during the week. This would give more individual attention, not only from the instructor, but also from their peers. Any comments out there?
Shirley

<<< Elizabeth Lee <[log in to unmask]>  8/25 12:15p >>>
Hi, All,

Here at Baton Rouge Community College we currently offer developmental math,
English, and reading four days a week with Friday reserved for individual work
in the Academic Learning Center.  There is an emerging opinion from
administration that developmental class hours should be cut back to three
hours a week.

Are there others of you who provide more instruction and contact time during
the week for developmental students than you do for the college-level
student?  Do you find the extra time in class beneficial to your developmental
students?  What arguments would you offer, if at all, to counter the push to
cut back the contact and instruction time?

Have any of you conducted recent studies that compare the benefits of
developmental classes meeting four days a week to those meeting three days a
week?

Thanks.

Elizabeth