Having student mentors would benefit both the education majors by giving them experience and the developmental students by having a one-to-one experience with a peer, rather than a five-to-one authority figure. The mentor could also meet with the student for two hours of computer work instead of the limited one that instructors have time for. If instructors met with the student three days per week in the class, we would not have time for all the needed labs as well. There are a limited number of hours in the week. I currently am in the classroom 9 hours per week for 4 classes (the advanced college-level reading class already meets 3 days per week) and in the labs 17-20 hours per week. I think my time could be better spent with the one-on-one conferences.
Thanks for your question.