As an instructor I often "tutor" my own students. I encourage them to ask for help from me or from our tutors in the Learning Center. The advantage for me when I tutor is that I know how much help the student has gotten and what the writing skills are without help. My goal as a basic writing/reading instructor is to be sure that students leaving my classes are able to function well in their other classes. If they require so much help from me that I question their ability for the future, I don't pass them to higher level classes. I don't see this as a conflict of interest, but rather as a necessary requisite for fairly and accurately grading students to assure their success.