Help! In my first month on the job, I've been asked to provide a research-based rationale for reviving a required study skills/college success course for our Dev. Ed. stus.  Does anyone have any direct links to research/supporting stats.?  I've accessed  many of Boylan's articles from the NADE and NCDE sites, but the stats he uses to support DevEd in general are more useful for our long-term efforts to promote a climate change (in faculty attitudes toward dev. ed.) rather than our short-term efforts to convince faculty that study skills courses "work", at least as a stop-gap measure.  I know that a more effective approach is thru a SI model or cross-curricular approach to integrating ss instruction into curriculum courses, but this is the approach that is approved for Fall.  We have to start somewhere!

Barb Putman
Learning Assistance Center Coordinator
Southwestern Community College (NC)