It is always difficult to get students to take courses seriously when they feel that they have successfully completed the course of study in high school or have had difficulty.  I am not sure if incentives are the answer.  It would seem to me that the courses have to have integrity and to the degree possible look and feel like college rather than high school even if they are not receiving credit.  The message is that the courses need to be new and different and engaging.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Wright [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 5:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Developmental Programs

Hi all,

I could really use your help.  I have been asked to provide my dean
with examples of university programs that successfully provide
positive incentives that encourage students to take developmental
courses seriously.  I was told that counting the grade in the gpa
(even without counting the credit) is out of the question.  Could
those of you who have such incentives in your programs send me
information about what you do?  The committee working on this
meets Friday.  Please reply off list.

My email program can open most Word attachments.  My fax
number is 936-468-4117 and my snail mail address is:

Academic Assistance and Resource Center
Ralph W. Steen Library  Box 13055
Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962

I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Robin
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing
water, & breeds reptiles of the mind."
                             --William Blake
Robin Redmon Wright
Director of the Academic Assistance and Resource Ctr.
Stephen F. Austin State University
(409)468-1463