This morning Al and I found a White-tailed Kite in Weekiwachee Preserve in
Hernando County.  We first located the bird when we heard it give its
chirpy call, as it sat in the top of a tree.  When it flushed, we only saw
its silhouette and an impression of white on the underside, as it flew into
the sun.  Fifteen minutes later we heard it again, as we walked south on
the paved road.  This time when the bird flushed, it circled directly above
us several times, giving us great views of all its field marks.

To reach Weekiwachee Preserve, from the intersection of US-19 and Spring
Hill Drive (CR-574) in Spring Hill, Hernando County, turn west from the
traffic light onto Osowaw Blvd. (CR-595), and follow the road through a
right and left turn, then turn right to the parking lot for the Preserve
(0.7 miles from the traffic light). Walk north on the paved road.  Our
second sighting of the kite was on the paved road between the first and
second trails heading to the left.  Our first sighting can be reached by
walking the second trail to the left, and looking in the first group of
trees and bushes on the right after a large clearing.  When the bird
flushed from the paved road, it headed back toward this area.

Please note new e-mail address.

Bev Hansen
Spring Hill, Florida