From: "Clay Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 10:14 AM
Subject: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] Merritt Island Closed

Hi all -

    Well, I set up the booth at the Florida Birding Fest in Clearwater on
Thursday morning, then drove east to Titusville in hopes of seeing the
shuttle launch that evening.  As we hit Orlando, my sister called to tell me
that the launch was postponed.  Darn.

    So, since we were almost there, we decided to keep on truckin' over to
Merritt Island NWR to see a few birds.  After crossing the bridge from
Titusville, the gate was manned, and the guard said that all of Merritt
Island was closed until the Shuttle was launched - regardless of how long
the delay.  Darn, again.  Now, we hear that the launch is scheduled for
Monday, so if the guard was accurate, there will be no birding on the refuge
this weekend!

    We made the best of a frustrating situation and checked out Blue Heron
for the first time - nothing unusual, but a very neat place.  The best thing
of the day happened as we drove west from Blue Heron towards Orlando, about
halfway to the airboat place, as a gorgeous adult Caracara flew right over
the car.  I have never seen one quite so far north in FL before, and it was
a lifer for my wife.  That, plus a really nice sunset, put me in a better
mood for the drive west.

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik